Fukushima, mon amour / Grüße aus Fukushima
- 7 Sep. Wed. 14:00 Will Hall
- 10 Sep. Sat. 17:00 Will Hall
- Germany / 2016 / 104 min.
- Director: Doris Dörrie
- Cast: Rosalie Thomass, Kaori Momoi
- Award: The C.I.C.A.E. Art Cinema Award and the Heiner Carow Prize at the Berlin International Film Festival in 2016
Young German woman Marie escapes to Fukushima to change her life. Working with the organization Clowns4Help, she hopes to bring joy to 2011 nuclear disaster survivors, some still living in emergency shelters. Marie soon realizes she’s absolutely unsuited to the task of making tragedy less wearisome. But instead of running away, Marie decides to stay with cantankerous old Satomi, the last geisha of Fukushima, who of her own accord has decided to retreat back to her ruined house in the formerly radioactive Exclusion Zone. Two women who couldn’t be more different, but who – each in her own way – are trapped in the past and must learn to liberate themselves from guilt and the burden of memory.